December 12, 2011

Day 5

What were your favorite songs?


I don't think I qualify as an audiophile, because I don't have the money for all the sound equipment. But this is year #5 of loving everything but country. Aside from the standard orientation pop music, I fell in love with the Avett Brothers a little later than everyone else. Skrillex came to save me from David Guetta's repetitive dance beats, I gorged myself on heavy metal, and made the prodigal son's return back to Thrice.


avett bro's - murder in the city. The music video is like beard candy.


Skrillex - With you, friends. This is the song of choice to relax to.

Warning: angry growling ahead!

After the Burial - Your Troubles Will Cease and Fortune Will Smile Upon You. My favorite metal band, this is the only song from their new album that sounds anything like the last one. Syncopation for the win!


Veil of Maya - Namaste. After a brief period of pop-infusion, I had to return to my heavy roots. This October I got to see what will probably be my last metal show - with three of my favorite face-melters: After the Burial, Within the Ruins, and Veil of Maya. If you can withstand the strange noises that come out of their mouths, you might, like me, learn to appreciate the beautiful ones that come from their guitars. It's a slippery slope, though.


Thrice - Treading Paper


Thrice - Listen Through Me

Thrice has been my favorite band since I first heard them. They're not afraid to try new things, and it's usually good. The combination of a deep faith, transparent struggles, and powerful hope make the songs more than just beautiful noises. It's a freaking king cake of emotion with melancholy frosting. Plus, how many bands do you know that cover EE Cummings poems?

Thank you for making this prompt plural.

2 comments:

Dana B said...

Watch out: Avetts come veeeeeerrrrrry close to casting you over the wall into the land of country music.

Knieriem said...

"No twang, no country" is my policy

Post a Comment