December 6, 2011

Gleanings


This is a time of transition. Ending BVS in October, I plunged head-first into uncertainty.

I've already written reflections on my volunteer work and life in community, but there has been so much more to life: little lessons on growing up, being Christian,  that I must recount for you. But that would take too long. Let's draw instead!

The illustrated list of things Don learned in Elgin:


1. I like lists. They make things seem more organized, no matter how chaotic life is. Recently, I've discovered the benefits of crossing things off of lists! It's like a productivity party!


2. I'm not a morning person (rrrer)





3. I like natural, locally made products:


4. I'm particular about what I like: I prefer seventh generation laundry detergent and dish soap, but a more sustainable cleaning spray is a homemade vinegar mixture and only locally produced fruit juices, but Indian River is better than Langers" blah bla blah this makes me sound pretentious

5. I don't like to waste time, especially with trite things like being nice:






6. Midwesterners are nice.


City people are rude.




Chicagoans = Midwestern City People.



7. I am not good at blogging.

This post was started Nov. 11, shortly before I was to move out of the BVS house. I promised a second grand reflection. And then I got a job. And an apartment. And furniture. All in a week.

I didn't have internet in my apartment for a full two weeks, which was a nice retreat off of the grid. When I got it, I plugged in a recycled computer from 7 years ago, installed Linux, and shared my connection with the main computer (yeah, I have too many, I know). I was so impressed with how easily it installed, connected, and broadcast a wireless signal for all of my neighbors to share. But it was not meant to be; technology must never be easy for me or I will become complacent. It is my fate to destroy every circuit board that crosses my path.

I swear I was working on this very post the other night, when mysteriously my internet connection quit. I tried my darnedest, but could not resurrect my snarkily named "Please Steal My Internet" network. After A day in Chicago (Sunday) and another evening without success, I threw in the towel. I am posting this from the oldest laptop I've ever had, which is funny because technically it's also the newest one in my collection.

To make things worse, tonight while typing, the touchpad decided to wonk out. Do you know what that little blue stick in the middle of old laptops was called? You know, that button that you couldn't press, but would move your cursor around like some archaic arcade control? Neither do I, but tonight it is the only thing allowing me to use this jankity old hunk of wires. Seriously, it's like a torture device, or one of those not-quite-computers they use for "interactive" exhibits at science museums.

1 comment:

jane said...

Haha I love your drawings and wit!

Post a Comment