December 14, 2011

Day 10

When did you take the easy way?


When I put off this ridiculously huge blogging assignment.

...and now for a real answer: I've been into Chicago several times this year, and I always seem to meet some of the most exhausted, debilitated homeless people. Once in a great while, I'll have something to share; more often, I'm in a hurry to get to where I'm going- the ball game, or Navy Pier. I am so good at rationalizing my priorities that I make these people as insignificant as can be.

I'm good at discounting sob stories, turning my nose at the bell ringers, and ignoring desperate pleas. I've heard so many good people explain why we ought not give money to the poor- you don't want to enable them. They'll take advantage of you.

But what would Jesus do? Did he ignore the lepers, the poor widows, the down and out? I'm pretty sure he said something like "If someone asks for your tunic, give them your cloak as well." Well I don't really wear a cloak, but I am not as dense as I seem. I'm to the point that I can finally stand up in disgust and defend my pathetic enabling habit. I don't care what any of you say, if some homeless guy sells me a postcard for $5, for God's sake I'm gonna buy it.

For too long I've taken the easy way and conveniently ignored the unpolished side of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment